PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying first plane
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 13:31
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A and C is correct, although I was responding to the mission as opposed to waving the LAA flag. Day VFR, 2 seat, easy to own and find parts for, fun to fly. The only thing I was suggesting is that you look again at the experimental thing because largely the aircraft you are looking at, are not that cheap or easy to run and are of limited fun.

You are right, you can recoup costs as a VAT registered business but hassle comes associated with renting and hassle removes fun. I was merely trying to point out that doing so changes the focus of ownership to commercial rather than fun and as such removes not a small amount of the fun from owning. I've owned 6 aircraft, only one of them experimental the most fun, easiest and cheapest was the experimental and I am suggesting as an experienced owner that you keep things simple as your first purchase

Incidentally, I was given the same advice as I just gave you with the same needs, I have seen it in other first time owners and also thought the same as you, I turned out to be wrong. Keep your options open and whatever you do, keep it simple but you, like me, will ignore such advice and convince yourself that you are right .

I now own a lovely Piper Cub, 2 seat, fun, great for the expensive burger runs and you don't need a lot of space to have fun in it. It costs me £2000 a year to run plus maintenance time which is mostly free. It is, relatively hassle free and therefor fun

So long as you have a good maintainer who can do wood and fabric, the aircraft you buy is well maintained and has always been hangared and you get a really good inspection then wood is easy to maintain, no guarantees