PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukraine calling for UN intervention
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 13:00
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
As a matter of fact, yes, there's a parallel. In any given nation there are fault lines, some more severe than others.

The fault lines in Yugoslavia, after Tito went west, were exploited by those within and without the country. The number of fifth column Iranian/Pasdaran, for example, in Bosnia were at the hightest count I ever got from our intel section around two hundred.

The American government spent millions of dollars on contractors who trained Croats and Bosnian Croats how to run a coordinated military operation, which led to pushing the Kraijina Serbs out while Serbia proper was being held back by NATO forces/threat of force.

The bombing of Belgrade and Serbia for over 70 days over the Kosovars a few years later was the West deconstructing Serbia even further. Foreigners interfering with other nations, in a big way.

Now, was the intervention into the Yugoslavia civil war warranted? By Europeans, as it was in their back yard, I'd say so. They didn't like that crap going on in their neighborhood. Oddly enough, the Germans (one of the Powers of Europe once again) sat it out.

Is there a like genocide afoot in Ukraine? Not yet, nor a civil war just yet ... but there was a hell of a lot more to the mess in Yugoslavia, and it's component parts, than the genocide in Bosnia. You could do a bit of research and look at the links between Croatia and Germany as Croatia successfully seceded, as did Slovenia. If you really want an insight into that mess in Yugoslavia, talk to a Greek ... not an American, nor a Brit, nor a German, nor a Frenchman. The Greek officers I served with had a completely different view of the intervention in Former Yugoslavia than what you seem to have consumed and assumed.

There are fault lines in Ukraine. People outside are exploiting them, as are people inside. In that respect, it is similar with the potential for more gunplay and a sizeable body count.