PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Windows (8) upgrade problem
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 10:21
Senior Paper Monitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. Confirm your P C has successfully updated the microsoft patch. Go to Control Pannel etc and check that the update has been succesfully installed my (borrowed) Win 8.1 PC failed to install a KB.. last friday and I only successfully installed the update on Sunday.

Checked - shows fine

The next port of call, your Router can you let the PPRuNe illumni know the details please and any relevent info... e.g Firewall Status/Type and any unique settings etc - Are you running Norton ?

Error on the Virgin Cable router (rebranded NETGEAR - not sure of model number) and the Talk-Talk D-Link SSL-2780.

Yes running Norton - Norton firewall active but can't see any settings taht would cause this

NB BT are progressively updating their firmware on their Home Hub routers to counteract a potential internal net i.e. within your home network, vunerability, re the heart bleed open SSL exploit.

N/A I asume

Try re setting the router by switching off leaving for a minute or too and then switching it back on and leaving it to re-establish your connection.

Done - both routers (twice each)

Try another browser. Are other P.C's/phones OK on the network. [Edit: Ignore I mssed you comments.]

Can't get another browser downloaded until I can get on internet to download (hence I discovered that IP address didn't work either when trying to obtain Chrome)

Is your PC Wi-FI still working - try the usual windoze checks on your hardware. Does it have a thumb switch to disable the Wi-fi (Dell Vostro ??? )

Yes accessing the other machines and shared network storage device (with intranet) wirelessly

Lots of possibles.....

CAT III