PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Overcoming the fear of flying
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2014, 04:41
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Managed to get signed off on Steep turns over the easter weekend. Along with incipient stalls, I thought this might hold me back. Only have to do 45 degree turns for GFPT (first stage of PPL in Aus). We tried pushing on to 60 degree (required for PPL) turns but I cant quite deal with the increased g force just yet. I am pretty sure I will get there though, just need to get out and keep trying.

I am starting to feel pretty confident now, really starting to get over the fear. I have done about 5 hours solo time in the circuit which has boosted my confidence a great deal. Recently, every time I go up with the instructor, I book the aircraft for an extra hour of solo circuits afterwards. Add to that conquering steep turns (to the point where I am actually starting to like doing them).

Its odd, the last hour of solo I did yesterday, I was climbing and turning onto crosswind I realised how relaxed I was. I also notice now that I can make my radio calls whilst starting to turn base and final. I used to have to do before I turned, so I could concentrate on flying. ITs all becoming automatic now.

So it just goes to show, it is possible to get over an irrational fear! I continue to surprise myself each time I go up. The more I fly, the more I am developing a unhealthy obsession with it.