PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Island Airways 1-11 at Luton 1985
Old 21st Apr 2014, 13:30
Wee Clink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British Island Airways 1-11 at Luton 1985

I am not sure if this is the best forum for this question so Mods please move if appropriate....

I appreciate this is a bit of a long shot but for nostalgic reasons I am trying to identify the registration of first aircraft I flew on.
It was a British Island Airways BAC 1-11 from Luton to Edinburgh and back on 21st May 1985.
The flight was a special charter organised by Royal Mail Special Services to celebrate something to do with their Datapost operation at Luton, and I went with my father who had been invited as a local councillor.
The flight would have left Luton in the morning and returned that evening - the return was memorable as it was a bit foggy at Luton that evening and the pilot had to execute a low level go-around as we weren't lined up with the runway on the first attempt - very exciting for a first flying experience !
As part of the trip I think were supposed to catch up with the evening Datapost flight (maybe the Shorts 360 G-RMSS ?) from Edinburgh to Luton, but I think that got delayed as it apparently took off from Edinburgh without a fuel cap in place and had to return.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help !