PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTE Jerez Instructor Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2014, 08:30
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stn120

CPB, your statement that wasaloadie's comments about rents is resoundingly untrue is itself not entirely true. I think you maybe attempting a bit of damage limitation.

I have a friend who lives in southern Spain and has been over to Jerez for me to do some research. A 5 bed house in the area for 600-800 Euro's? Dream On! either that or it is sub-standard. You will get a medium size 4 bed house for 6-800 Euro's but the area it is in (University) is less than desirable. A small 3 bed in a more desirable area will cost minimum 600 Euro's. He looked at the south of Jerez (golf area) and said the rental prices were on average 25% higher.

It is also true that the agent will take 1 months rent as his fee, normally paid by the vendor in the UK.
I could perhaps have been more precise with my quotes.

For clarification, I do not dispute the agents fee arrangement which is a bit cheeky IMHO! But the crux of the matter is the general price of rental property. Take a property in Jerez, convert its rental into pounds, search for the same on a UK rental website, and you'll be lucky to find anything comparable unless in a really run down area.

I could give some examples of mid range places we looked at, but tbh lets cut to the chase and look at the top end. We viewed several similar properties near the golf course at around the 800 euro mark. Admittedly, only 4 beds, but fitted out basements are common, so far superior to our uk property in terms of floor area for non bedroom living space; enough room for an office and a home cinema. Plus the pool. Plus in a secure gated area. Plus a tennis court. 800 euros, that's me, in the property, talking face to face with the Agent. Not 'a mate did some looking around'. But even if it was 1000 eu, say 900 sterling, try and rent the equivalent anywhere in the UK!

The simple truth is, as I originally stated, it is a renter's market down there. Spanish property websites are pretty poor, and the English level of the Agents is very poor, but once you cut behind that there are some great places to live at very reasonable prices.

There are serious issues to be considered in relocating to Spain (as I mentioned taxation, spousal employment and schooling) but the rental market is not one of them IMHO.

These are general statements about Spain based on my experiences down there and would apply to anyone thinking of relocating for any reason. Thus I'm somewhat bemused by your post title and insinuation.

Cpb