PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2014, 08:22
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
I really hope I'm wrong but it's not looking good for finding the aircraft in that 10km radius zone. It seems more than 2/3rd has been searched to no avail.
Indeed. This is a bit puzzling but on the other Hand that doesn't necessarily mean they are searching in the totally wrong area.
If the waterfall graphs were the real deal and it wasn't accidentally generated in the measuring device itself (which I hope they are examining), I would say there is very big chance it was from MH370. It looked perfectly constant in amplitude and frequency and the duration of the Signal seemed to match as well.
Natural phenomena won't achieve that in any likelyhood.
However, some querstions remain: Is Bluefin21 working as advertised?
Would it really detect shattered debris in silt?
And more importantly: How far do these signals really travel. Looking at the on/off nature of the detections, it looked more like signals that were channeled over a longer distance, leading to relatively short detection times (in some instances only minutes). At 2kts, a detection of 15 minutes means a length of 0,5 km. Perhaps behaviour of such signals in cold water under high pressure is not really 100% understood, yet.

Anyway, they will look at the results of the scans and be able to decide if Resolution was suffcient to 100% exclude they travelled over it.
Depending on that it would be: Either different Equipment (Abyss? Remus?) or enlarged Search area.

Last edited by henra; 21st Apr 2014 at 08:32.