PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Niagara Falls Flight
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2014, 04:36
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd hesitate to suggest that you do the flight yourself if you're only allotting one day to flying.

The airspace can be tricky if you're not used to the area. The entry and exit routes require you to be able to identify highway intersections and the altitude restrictions have you nestled between local helicopter traffic and airline/military traffic from Buffalo. It can be quite the task to stay in the pattern, on altitude, making your radio calls...all while you're trying to look out the window too. Not hard by any stretch for a local pilot, but certainly can be a handful if you're having to rely on anything other than your eyes.

As for getting into the plane as a pilot you'll have to at least do a Biennial Flight Review and the associated paperwork for a Temporary Foreign License. Depending on your experience, this can be anywhere from a quick hour all the way up to five hours (also depends on the insurance requirements).

In the long run, probably easier to have someone else do the flying and just enjoy the view. It's absolutely stunning from the air, and not having to focus on the flying will make it a better tourist experience, IMO.

However, St. Catherine's Flying Club does (or did 5 years ago) have some pretty cheap rates, it's only about a 7 minute flight from take-off to the entry to the circuit area, and the local radio guys are more than helpful if they have the time. Otherwise, as evansb suggested, the local heli operators do a pretty good job at it too.

Either way you choose to go you're in for a treat if the weather plays nice. Pray for clear skies, a slight wind to blow the smog away, and low humidity and you'll get to see the entire Golden Horseshoe.