PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International "Pilots must go back to basics>"
Old 21st Apr 2014, 03:13
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only hope that more line trainers will encourage manual flying. I would like to hope that the Asiana incident would be the turning point on the total reliance of automation... but I do have my doubts
In many cases, LOFT in the simulator is a time waster of dubious value, especially as the session is primarily a flight deck management exercise with full use of the automatic pilot. Time and therefore costs, are the main over-riding factor against increasing the amount of manual flying in simulator training. Airlines need to re-evaluate the purported value of LOFT exercises and instead replace them with manual raw data instrument flying practice.

For every enlightened operator that encourages manual flying under appropriate conditions during line flying, the will be a dozen or more who shy away from it to the extent that it is expressly forbidden. However, the latter must be forced by their regulator to schedule simulator hand flying raw data training on visual approaches, ILS in strong crosswinds, high and low altitude stall recovery for example. If practice makes perfect, then what more cost-efficient way to prevent the skill atrophy that has become such a serious issue, judging from the plethora of reports from research and international flight safety conferences.