PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 16:07
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
The Snatch replacement programme was called Future Northern Ireland Patrol Vehicle (FNIPV). Its ISD was, from memory, mid-00s. It was an endorsed programme in the late 90s. To achieve such a timescale it would have been staffed in the mid-90s. The Pinzgauer was already in service in, for example, 2002, before FNIPV selection had taken place. (Perhaps before, I'm only going from personal experience). I don't know if it was actually selected, or shortlisted, as the programme died a death. As of 2003 it was not part of FRES.

My point is that it is another example of MoD misleading by omission and commission when challenged over deaths, and similarly of them misleading/lying in Ministerial briefs. When Ministers of the day said Snatch was fit for purpose, effectively what they were saying was Iraq/Afg were more benign environments than NI.

The links to, for example, C130 XV179 are clear. Threat and Vulnerability Assessments would have immediately flagged Snatch was due for replacement, and why. This would, or should, have immediately brought forward the replacement programme, with an updated spec due to the T&VAs. This didn't happen until after many deaths and adverse publicity. In the same way the T&VAs for C130 showed she did not meet the design and airworthiness requirements for the use to which she was being put. Similarly, Nimrod and Chinook. The latter was deemed vulnerable to SAMs, but on 2.6.94 the status of any self protection kit was "not to be relied upon in any way whatsoever".

The common denominator is senior staffs in MoD knowingly took the decision to conceal these risks. One cannot say "Accept" because the facts were withheld and attempts made to conceal them from subsequent inquiries.