PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 15:27
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dad's story continues:-

More advanced exercises were carried out and, slowly but surely, we were moving towards Wings Day.

But of course there were incidents: crosswind landings, ground loops, minor accidents and sadly 2 major accidents (of which later). There was the penalty of not landing the correct way against the huge white T was to be forced to march out to the T in the middle of the airfield and stand in front of the T and salute it x number of times - the number determined by the instructor or Flight Stage Commander. This did not endear us to some who shall remain unnamed!

-o0o-

There were three incidents in particular, namely:

1. My minor incident dipping my port wing as it naughtily sought contact with some Texas earth!

2. The sad events of 20 February 1943 when 4 cadets were killed during a cross country exercise to Miami, Oklahoma - home to 3BFTS.

3. The visit to Terrell of ‘One Armed Mac’, Squadron Leader James Maclachlan.

There were of course many incidents which took place during our flying training but life consisted mostly of the routine and the repetition of all the various exercises carried out day after day, perfecting and honing our skills. However, everyone has their favourite stories of triumph and disaster. The above three are mine. They are as follows.

Incident 1 :- 5 January 1943

It happened on 5th January 1943 when carrying out solo crosswind landings at Tarver field - a long narrow grass field where one could carry out both dual and solo exercises in crosswind and precautionary landings following simulated engine failure. On this particular day I was carrying out solo crosswind landings - the wind was strong and gusty so not the best of conditions. I had just crossed the boundary fence when, caught by a gust of wind, my port wing dipped and, although I managed almost to recover, the port wing tip touched the ground - fortunately only momentarily. But it was enough to cause some damage and the outer edge of the port wing received a dent in the metal some 4 inches long, 2 inches wide and possibly 1 inch deep as far as I remember. Fortunately I did not ground loop and was able to taxi to Dispersal. I confessed, with heart in mouth, to Instructor Wakefield (Little Caesar) who had seen it all and had a face like thunder! He was not best pleased to put it mildly!

Our conversation, a somewhat one-sided tirade from him, left me in no doubt that I was the worst pupil he had ever taught and my action would justify a check ride before I could fly again! It took three days of sheer agony at the prospect of being eliminated from the course before the check ride - the three day’s wait was of course part of the ‘sentence’.

I still remember the check ride to this day and very vividly too! Ed Smith was to check me out - a senior instructor, taciturn and a man of few words. Without saying too much he climbed into the rear seat and sat there waiting for me to check the outside of the aeroplane - pitot-head cover off, etc.- which I did after walking around the aeroplane. I climbed onto the wing and into the cockpit and settled down to strap myself in prior to cockpit checks. I connected to Ed. He asked me (knowing full well that I had not) if I had checked the opening panel in the fuselage which one had to check to ensure that it was locked and secure. I had not checked this in my nervousness, I’d completely forgotten! There sat Ed, unsmiling and staring straight ahead whilst I unstrapped myself, out of the cockpit, off the wing and checked the panel was closed and secure, climb back into the cockpit with the feeling that this would surely be my last flight with elimination and return to the UK!! There followed the longest period of my flying life as we landed and taxied back to hear Ed’s verdict. Well, having gained my wings I don’t need to write that I passed the ‘check ride’. Ed even smiled as he informed me!

I can sympathise with Dad as on my Cranwell course 16 students started the course and 8 finished ( of which 2 were killed later in flying accidents). It seemed quite brutal at the time as some seemed fine on the Monday but were gone by the Friday. It all seemed to be about capacity and when you reached that then you couldn't go any further. One or two even admitted to being glad they had been chopped as they felt that they were likely to be involved in an accident and were not enjoying their flying.

HF