PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tigerair - whats going on??
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 11:33
Burr Styers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Poppajo

Singapore is a very difficult place to operate an LCC, as the island is already over-served by existing native airlines. The Philipines and Indonesia have not worked out as expected, and no doubt some assets will be repatriated to 9V land. A base in Taiwan is probably a good idea, to improve things for customers in Southern China, as no doubt there is [U]Potentially[U] a very good market there. Since the IPO in 2010 the share price has only gone down, and is languishing around the 40cent mark, down from its best of 2.10 shortly after issue.

Much of the old world charm has now gone out of Singapore, and the programme of "Concrete-isation" of the island continues apace. Singapore is really a place for transiting to somewhere else in the region, or a short visit, to the modest but well done visitor attractions, most of which can be done in half a day or a day at most. Quite rightly, Changi airport gets its plaudits, and is no doubt a model others could learn from.

Tiger Australia now majority owned by Virgin (60 % iirc) and agree, it has great potential, I wish them well. For the rebranded Tigerair Singapore, I think has some way to go before it becomes a profitable business, as the management suffer from the Singaporean mindset.......of hopelessly over-estimating their position on the world stage.

I really do wish them well also, but there are still difficult trading times ahead. BTW the focus, as in all airlines, was always on yield, and for a while a couple of years ago, it did start to recover and make headway, but now seems to have fallen back,.... which is a shame. :-/