PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 05:55
hillbillybob

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts
Surely the AFAP would be interested in the shenanigans of the Broome operator (s)?
I'm not sure why AFAP would take umbrage with preferencing people whom are established and living in town over those that aren't

Horatio, I haven't met any newbies up here from mossman or toorak yet, plenty from the western and inner west in sydney, and a bunch from perth. I'm not currently a member of AFAP but will consider it when I get a job, the correct union for me currently is the SDA but there isn't a hope in hell of me joining them after the WA senate debacle.

In the last few months I have seen all types of wannabes here in Broome, those that have literally come for 2 days to do the rounds then head back home to guys who are on their second dry season and still trying for a gig.

Talking to the CPs up here the main takeaways have been:
  • there are more pilots here than the last 2-3 years and the theory is that this is because people doing the degree courses with FeeHelp are now starting to complete their degrees
  • if you aren't in town you need to be very good or very lucky to get a job without being here (and out of the backpackers)

as for me, I'm pretty happy here, I have met some awesome people, I'm not working in an office for the first time in forever, the weather is nice, and thursdays at the roey is good for a giggle. I do want that first job but I'm willing to be a little patient to get it especially now that I have some cash coming in to support myself.

so far the records I have heard of for the quickest time to get a job was less than a week, and the lowest hours were a bit under 200, anything is possible and that is one of the things that does peoples heads in, they can't see the logic/method being used to pick the guys that are successful

Last edited by hillbillybob; 20th Apr 2014 at 06:18.