PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Maintenance Changes
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 02:59
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas Maintenance Changes

Hey guys. I just wanted to open up some conversation on changes implemented by Qantas last week that has effectively extended the daily check on 738 aircraft out to 48 hours. Up until last Monday, a check 2 was carried out overnight on all aircraft. A check 2 included engine oil servicing and brake/tyre wear checks.

Yesterday VZW had an rtb because the good crew were concerned that engine quantity levels after start were low, particularly considering they were to operate Syd-Bme-Syd. Engines were showing 12 and 13. We believe consumption rates can be up to .7 per hour for each engine.

The boys put 3.5 Quarts into each engine and off she went. Additionally there have been other verbals from crews seeking a check of the oil levels where 4 quarts per donk were added.

It appears that low quantity can be picked up by a vigilant crew however the extension of the check intervals will now often lead to a situation where quantity levels drop to a much lower level before a mandatory Engineering check is undertaken.

I was wondering what triggers are in place for you guys to prompt you to check the levels and at what point do you call for oil level servicing? Also what information has been disseminated by management to make you aware of the changes.

Also other things that reside in the check 2 have been pushed out such as tyre and brake checks. I'm not sure how you guys gauge the serviceability or otherwise of these components.

We often raise these concerns with management and they just brush it aside with a - "If there is any doubt the crew will just call a LAME". How do you guys know when to call a LAME or even if doubt exists in the first place?

cheers in advance. Steve P