PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 02:15
Danny42C

Warmtoast,

Very interesting indeed. Strangely, I have never known until now of the extent of the Bombay-Liverpool smallpox outbreak in early'46. My record of Units at the back of my log shows me at 1340 Flight until 31.3.46, allow ten days for travel and a week at Worli, then at least two weeks on the "Aorangi" back through the Canal to Liverpool, and I cannot have landed back in UK until the end of April at the earliest.

By then it would have been old news, and I suppose that, as we had put our single case ashore in Gibraltar on the way, we were no longer newsworthy.

During my fortnight's quarantine in RAF West Kirkby isolation ward, surely we would have been allowed newspapers in, but I don't remember reading about any earlier episode, or anyone telling me about it later.

"....all the other passengers were injected with anti-smallpox serum...." I wasn't ! Or did they mean "vaccination" ? - which I certainly was. But what a strange phrase for such a well known commonplace procedure !

What I do remember was that the five doctors in "Aorangi" were very frightened men. But what were they afraid of ? (this is where we need a Doctor in the House - any offers ?)....D.

Fareastdriver,

Amen to your #5496 ! (can anyone do this, or must it be whoever put the oversize photo in in the first place ? - or obviously a Moderator)....D.

Hempy,

I cannot click-on to your link, but I know you can find a good deal about the Arnold Scheme from Google, including some interesting statistics, but you need to root around a lot As to the intended extension of the BFTS training to 200 hours in January'42, this should be right up Hummingfrog Senior's street, as he would be going to Terrell about this time....D.

Molemot and gzornenplatz,

I've managed to get onto the Googlebook's free read of the Arnold Scheme book, but it'll take time to go right through and squeeze the pips out of it. I'll come back on it in a later Post - but thanks a lot for putting it out for us all to see !....D.

Hummingfrog,

You're keeping up the good work with your #5500 ! Bit late tonight, will have my two cents' worth tomorrow....D.

Goodnight, everybody. Danny.

PS: Smudge and Chugalug,

Hadn't turned over the last page (p.276), had I ? Never mind, Tomorrow is also a Day....Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 20th Apr 2014 at 02:17. Reason: Correction.