PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 19th Apr 2014, 18:06
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550 Driver,
From what I have read so far, there are no rules governing departures in IMC from a private pad or location.Also,by inference, this was not an owner operator who would have taken kindly to one of his underlings saying "no".
Pilot experience is not a safeguard.If you look at all the recent accidents in the US ,UK and Canada,the experience spectrum is wide ranging.
All the accidents in the UK occurred in twin engined ,highly sophisticated aircraft ,designed for IFR flight.That did not prevent people running into cranes,nosing in after take off into trees or striking the water on approach.
All the regulations in the world did not prevent this from happening.As you read through all the posts,you can see the various interpretations.So the regs are not crystal clear to all and are "guidelines" to most.So,I don't see adding further regulations is of any use.
Repeatedly saying that pilots should stand their ground is not an answer at all.It is not just about the paycheck.It is also about the DNA of the pilot population that wants to "get it done". Can't change that.
So, what is the next step? Support the pilot with good supervision.Provide good training and tools. Have a crystal clear SOP.Do not allow the owners to bully their people.
By Jove I've got it! Turn the entire operation over to the RAF, over land, and the RN over sea!The rich can charter helicopters for their personal use and the oil companies can contract the RN for their off shore support!
Simple isn't it? Because obviously the owners, operators and pilots are unable to police themselves and the only response regulators can come up with is more regulations,apparently incomprehensible to the average Joe Pilot.
Alt3.