PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International "Pilots must go back to basics>"
Old 19th Apr 2014, 11:56
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodo Land

First of all: Thank You Rat5. Very good post!

I state that I have never flown the B777 and for a raw data approach I mean:
- Of course no A / P.
- No autotrim on any axis
- No A / T
- No F / D
- No FPA
- No Track
Only Stick, Rudder, Throttles, HSI, ADI, and air driven instruments.

Almost 40 years ago we used to train on SE 210 performing ILS Approaches to simulated minima, with R1 instrument, and its omni bearing selected and locked in a position very different from the ILS inbound course. It was very challenging but effective to maintain manual piloting skills.

Highlights:
even before starting the ILS, know the Following:

-Initial rate of descent is Approximately 5 times your groundspeed in knots ... 140 knots groundspeed Apch ... your initial 700 fpm descent rate ... make your calculation in advance. 600 to 700 fpm for most jets to start

-Attitude and engines / engine (OEO) pre-fixing for each configuration / speed, to maintain in the various phases of the approach ...

-Intercept localizer and make a good guess of the heading required to maintain it. Scan your needles and the basic flight instruments (classic T) ... do not chase the needles, try heading for the refinements as you go

-The drift is equal to the wind cross-component divided by the ground speed in NM / min.
So after capturing the LOC apply a first gross correction to the drift: if your GS is 140 kts = 2.3 nm / min and have a 10 knots x-wind component, add 4° to the right of your inbound course. Then you'll only make small corrections of no more than 5 degrees (the angle of bank should not exceed the amount of heading variation).

-As the glideslope needle comes alive, configure the aircraft for Landing, so as by the time you are ON glideslope, you are fully configured for landing and maintaining your 600-700fpm descent in TRIM ... and correct power.

We used to extend the landing gear when a dot and a half below the glide, landing flap when a dot below.
On glide the aircraft must be configured and at the prescribed speed, with attitude and thrust as precalculated.
Determine what is the exact attitude to maintain the glide slope and make small changes around that.
Do not chase LOC and GLIDE but anticipate their trends.
Maintaining a Sterile Cockpit.
Only standard call outs allowed.
”OUTER MARKER TIME ...” “CROSS CHECKED!”
APPROACHING MINIMA
MINIMA ... GO AROUND Or: LAND
Pleonastic?
Or a forgotten art?