PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - loganair SD360 Fatal crash AAIB findings
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2003, 08:43
spancan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy loganair SD360 Fatal crash AAIB findings

I haven't seen the AAIB offical findings(if thats the word). To be honest I have been scared to ask for them at work as one pilot was susspeneded for two days for asking to see the draft copies. It has been reported in the scottish TV and the local newspapers that the double engine failure was the result of a snow/ice build up in the intakes.

Several Points:

1: On a walkaround it is impossible to do an inspection of the intakes without the aid of a ladder.
(After the crash loganair fitted ladders to the hold).

2: No SD360 A/C at Loganair carried a overnight kit of engine blanks etc. (indeed crews were never shown on how to fit them should the matter arise).

3: Pre crash the policy for entering icing conditions (+6 degrees) was to put both engine anti-ice vanes,at the same time, on(post crash this was adjusted to one on, note itt's etc. then the other one on;this used to be done many moons ago according to one training captain).

This crash could and should have been avoided if Loganair had had decent engineering coverage at EDI, instead the lives of carl masson(ex RAF and Bristows) and Russell Dixon the F/O would have not perished.

Loganair said in a press release "It was disappointed to learn from a similar occurrence involving a Shorts 360 had taken place some years before.
Had this been reported to the industry operators would have been aware of the dangers".

Oh really? Well I don't fly that A/C now but still work for the airline and nobody has ever mentioned any other fatal coverup!