PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 18th Apr 2014, 17:46
RedWhite&Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been doing some more digging as something didn’t sit well, with my last post.

With regard to VFR minima I said that “During the day one would be limited to 1500m (Class G)…”

While this generally holds good for the JAR-OPs people, it is not the whole story, so here’s chapter and verse under JAR-OPS.

‘Helicopters may be operated in flight visibility down to 1500 m [by day], provided the appropriate ATS authority permits use of a flight visibility less than 5 km, and the circumstances are such, that the probability of encounters with other traffic is low, and the IAS is 140 kts or less. When so prescribed by the appropriate ATS Authority, helicopters may be permitted to operate down to a flight visibility of 800m by day’. See Appendix 1 to JAR-OPS 3.465 Minimum Visibilities for VFR Operations.

But for a private flight under the ANO it is “For helicopters operating at a speed which, having regard to the visibility, is reasonable: Clear of cloud and in sight of the surface.” Is it not?

I also said you need 3km by night in Class G (from CAA Info Notice IN-2012/145). While this holds good for a private flight it is 5km for JAR-OPS operations. See JAR-OPS 3.465(a)(2) and Appendix 1 to JAR-OPS 3.465 Minimum Visibilities for VFR Operations.

Unless, that is, you know otherwise...

Apologies, I shall try harder next time. I'm beginning to wish I'd stayed in 'lurk mode'.