PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polzeath airstrip
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2003, 07:06
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QDM - it's a list that's been in compilation for several years, as a "tool" for those occasions when historical/statistical information is needed to defend our fast-dwindling airfield infrastructure. It's been used "in anger" several times.

It's the "property" of A4A (Action for Airfields) - see the website. I'm the "volunteer compiler". I thought I was in for an easy job when I started, years ago! Right now I've got about a week's worth of full-time effort waiting, to input and cross-check the stuff I've received in the past couple of months.

Many excellent and knowledgeable people have contributed, and it's as complete as any list I know. It includes all the airfields in the Action Stations series, all those in CAP481, all those on the CAA charts, and in most of the major flight guides since WW2. It's got all the inter-war AA Landing Grounds, and so on and so on ad nauseam.

The best part is the way pilots who know come back to me with information about some of the "uncertain" fields. One Scots helicopter pilot visited the "queries" in his area and sent me back full details on the status of them all.

It's not fully complete or up to date (never will be), but serves its purpose. The biggest problem is finding out when private strips close - I'm sure that many on the list are closed, but of course nobody "notifies" closure.

I've also had great fun with airfields that have several names - there are many with three and a few with four names, all listed in various sources, and sometimes duplicated. I've got a geographic cross-checking routine that identifies potential duplicates.

The strangest thing has been the way people have begged me for a copy; in the past, I've make a CDROM (it's a BIG file), and posted it off. Most never even bothered to acknowledge receipt. Some promised to send back information on their own area/airfields - but nothing came. There are honourable exceptions, of course - including quite a few PPRuNers. I now ask for a fiver donation to A4A funds, and the requests have just about ceased

Padstow: it's a private strip at 50 30N 004 59W. Information from the CAA so likely to be accurate. It may well be closed now: it was reported "open" in 1996 (the last information I have).

There was also a WW1 strip at Padstow (Crugmeer) 50 33N 004 58W. That closed in 1919 and there is apparently now no trace of it there.