PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Pilots (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2003, 06:19
CarltonBrowne the FO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Flap5, it doesn't bode well for your understanding of my argument that you can't even get my name right...

Clearly there are a vocal minority of people out there who think that pilots should carry guns whatever the logic and evidence against it.
Whatever you think, I used to believe that pilots should not be armed... I was persuaded otherwise by reasoned argument over the last 19 months.

... it is pure arrogance to think that a pilot, trained to fly, would overpower a terrorist, trained to kill, in a one on one in the cockpit.
Is it? For a start I'm not proposing a fair fight... there are a few refinements you can make to an armoured flightdeck door to tilt the scales tremendously. Also, there is a reason why firearms have the nickname, Equalizers.

From as far back as the matchlock, a major advantage of firearms has been their ease of use. Here is a device that gives a semi-trained individual a good chance against an armoured knight- someone who has spent his lifetime learning to fight. Obviously, training would be required- personally I would prefer to have at least monthly practice sessions, after the initial course. It is also worth remembering that many airline pilots have some form of military training. Even for those with no military experience, given that professional pilots tend to be intelligent, motivated individuals, with acceptable hand-eye coordination- a good proportion will be capable of passing the course.

S76Heavy: I infer that I am one of the group you refer to as "gun fanatics"- I learnt to shoot as a child, on the farm where my grandfather lived and worked. From an early age I was taught that firearms are dangerous tools, to be handled responsibly and with care, but not to be feared. I have never found the need to own a firearm of any kind: in what way do I qualify as a fanatic? Other than disagreeing with you of course...

PENKO: it's a valid question- in my opinion, it would be a bad idea, because, unlike skymarshalls, cabin attendants are visible and automatically identifiable. Sure, so are pilots- but the pilots are locked inside the increasingly well-fortified flight deck.

Even as a last line of defence, armed pilots would not be my first choice. I would prefer an SAS man, wearing full body armour, sitting in a rearward facing seat just inside the flight door. Ideally HIS firearm would be coded to his fingerprints so that only he could fire it.... and no, none of this post is a joke.