PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1,reverser deployed,go or nogo
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2014, 04:06
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
....with the JT8Ds on the 727 with clamshells, this was not a gentle, gradual thrust lever movement....it was a relatively rapid, potentially knuckle pinching or palm bruising 'snatchback'.
Now that is interesting. I have experienced that on a 737-300 simulator when actuation on the instructor panel of uncommanded thrust reverser causes the selected thrust lever to snap back to idle instantaneously (one second) and is a real OH &S problem which could easily lead to a broken finger or crushed side of the hand. On other 737-300 simulators the closure rate is much slower.

Reminds me of similar OH&S concerns where you see the PNF "backing up" the thrust levers on take off in the 737 and then casually leaving their hand behind the thrust levers in the misguided impression this will prevent the thrust levers from sliding back if the PF takes their hand off them. If the PF makes a sudden decision to reject the take off run and snaps the thrust levers to idle, there is a good chance of the PNF being unable to get his hand out of the way and severely damage his hand trapped between the thrust lever idle position and the start levers just below.

I doubt if the PF will have the time to say to the PNF backing up the thrust levers, "I say old chap, I wonder if you mind removing your hand from behind my thrust levers as I would very much like to reject the take off right NOW