PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2014, 10:48
helipiloto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bristow Local management

Bristow's local management continue their "cheap" approach of running things down there so they can secure their bonuses and exhorbitant salaries.
Pilots are now travelling home via the cheapest available tickets. This means adding an extra leg or two to your route. Also will have to start doing change over on weekends, meaning pilots will loose 2 weekends at home with the family every rotation. Last year there was a false glimpse of the company trying to improve accomodation, however now accomodation is back on a downward spiral and getting worse by the minute: Power outages now last hours instead of minutes, pipes continue to burst, roofs continue to leak, windows are badly fitted which allows mosquitoes to get in and lots of people getting sick from malaria...
Pilots have also started flying to the sim either on time off and not getting leave or pay in return for these days lost, or travelling to sim the day of, meaning you land from and long flight from Lagos to where your sim is and then doing your test just 3 or 4 hours later. Local pilots are also being cheated out of allowances or work over when, for example, they get called on a day off and do not get paid because in the end the client cancels the flight last minute.
Meanwhile management and a few hand picked pilots get bonuses which nobody is supposed to know about until, ofcourse, somebody slips up and then everyone knows. Or when the chief pilot in Lagos puts himself on night standby illegally after having worked all day or on time off so the he can get work over pay for it (apparently he makes in excess of 250 K USD/year!.... net)
But hey! I am not complaining! I feel great when I wear my target zero hat or my "are you ok" t-shirt. When you are so lucky that a huge hangar fire is put out by your neighbour because your fire hoses don't work or when taxiing a helicopter you run into a pot hole, collapse the front wheel and still choose to continue taxiing with pax on board and nothing happens to you I say to myself: this target zero bull**** really works!!!