PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ljubljana air crash 1966
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2014, 10:34
Airbanda

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
When did commercial/public transport stop using QFE?

My recollection as an airband listener in the seventies, mostly at Leeds/Bradford, was that aircraft were initially descended to altitudes on QNH after handover from Manchester but transitioned to QFE/height before intercepting localiser and glideslope. These would be BA Viscounts, Air Anglia Friendships and Dan-Air 748s

If SRA was in use clearance was given to 1500 feet QFE for runway 33 with further descent from 5 miles on a 3degree g/s. For runway 15 height to 5 miles was greater as the slope was 3.25degrees due terrain clearance. In either case check heights were given along with vectors as the approach continued.

I guess one factor now is that radio altimeter will give precise height during the final approach.

While QNH only seems fine for 2 crew commercial operation with SoP's etc in force I'm still not convinced I'd want to use it solo in a light/micro. Rather know where I am wrt elevation of base/destination runway. Mentally adding six hundred and something for Leeds (or four hundred or so for Sywell) just seems unnecessary effort/complication.