PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 17th Apr 2014, 08:51
EESDL

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Continue take-off or continue take-off ?

Can we stop the chatter about do we/do we not have to be visual at TDP (or a fraction of a sec before..............you are confusing me! Court of law will apply common sense even if book doesn't.
Of course we do - there is no discussion - that is your decision point what next; continue take-off or continue take off?????
How else does one expect to 'reject' if you cannot see Mother earth - but saying that - how do you judge available RVR at a private site?
They would have used the infamous 1k tree or something similiar.
If not, then I'm afraid the book, it shall be thrown as Monsieur Proirot would say.......as there is some phrase about having to have sufficient visual references to carry out a landing after take-off in case of single engine failure prior to TDP etc.....
very sad 'accident' but I think all that knew (of) the owner are not really that surprised but unfortunately it do not think it will be the owner's estate that suffers when the ambulance chasers get active.
Offshore from a rig, the only rvr requirement for departure is that you can transition to forward flight as there is not the option of rejecting back to the deck once decision to go has been made (top of tdp, and, by design, no obstacles in vincinity of oei profile)
Also struck me how few hours the Captain had for such an operation - was that because everyone else didn't want to/or already had worked for the outfit???