PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall speed in an established slip
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2014, 22:48
slam525i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing a higher than normal approach speed just leaves you in ground effect with excess speed which makes the whole thing pointless. Don't see what's wrong with doing it at the proper speed.
Jesus Christ on rollerskates... no one LANDS like that. You straighten out on short final, slow down, and land normally at normal speeds. The whole point is to have the right energy as you come over the fence in a normal landing config. Isn't that obvious? One would have to be a complete, 100%, undiluted moron to think anyone advocates actually touching down while still in a full slip (other than a forward slip for cross-winds) or while carrying excess speed.

(We've gone from a nuanced discussion about the effects of a slip to stall-speed into stating the bloody obvious apparently.)

By the way, I'd much rather float a little carrying 5-10 knots extra over the numbers on a long runway than miss the fecking runway completely. If you think coming out of a slip a few knots fast "makes the whole thing pointless" compared with not slipping... I don't even know what to say to that.

I think I'm done with this discussion. Too many people stating the bloody blatantly obvious. (Not you, Shaggy, or the OP.)