PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRIS Lancaster PA447
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2014, 10:20
QuePee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRIS Lancaster PA447

Fellow Ppruners,

Some time ago I contributed to a thread about something that I cannot remember. In that thread I promised to put up a picture of IRIS Lancaster PA447 that I knew I had somewhere. Well it has eventually surfaced so I thought I better fulfill that promise and publish it.

My father was stationed at RAF Watton in Norfolk in the late 40s and he had the responsibility of looking after PA447 from an engineering/maintenance perspective. This was deemed something of an honour and 447 was extremely well looked after. For instance all the other Lancasters on the station were left out in all weathers, only moving inside for maintenance, but 447 was always put away in the warm every night.

The attached picture is an official one taken at RAF Watton with 447 on the hardstanding outside No 4 hangar by a certain Mr Smith (his first name and rank have been lost unfortunately). Mr Smith was an official RAF photographer who lived next door to us in the AMQ at RAF Watton. In fact his bicycle can be seen propped up at the rear of the aircraft.

My sister, who is a little older than me would very often sit in the cockpit under strict instructions not to touch anything. One Sunday morning when 447 was due for an engine test, my father hitched up the tug to the aircraft and towed it out of the hangar on his own (a serious offence if any damage had been done). My sister was then allowed to start one of the engines....How I would love the opportunity to do that today.

I hope you can now consider my promise fulfilled.

QP