PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Jetstar Pilot Cadet Program
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2014, 06:46
Flyboat North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a shame that Universities resort to spivvy advertising, as in past years , and I am sure it is still true of most faculties at most Unis you will get a reasonably accurate appraisal of the employment situation for graduates of their discipline.

One of the Uni Aviation Heads in fact used to publish research papers on Women's menstrual cycles before he decided to be an "aviation expert".

The data you present is interesting about what I would have thought. Sounds a little high on the instructor/cadets numbers but you know the cohort not me.

I don't imagine they would be making any dint on their $100K HECs for a number of years, working the desk employed as a casual flying instructor.

True a lot of the Uni/Av grads got a good run from the advanced cadetships, but that is over now, Jetstar advanced shut a few years back, Cathay Advanced closed for about 12 months, Qlink just recently. (Also note that the famed exclusive rolled gold "Griffith Aviation Cathay Pacific Cadetship" is was also known as the Cathay Advanced with no advantage to Griffith students )

You can always get lucky as one Swinburne grad who has just completed A320 training at one of the overseas Jetstar franchises did (a local cadet had failed and they needed someone quick) - but that doesn't happen very often.

The other tangible that people have to consider is that the RAAF is very overstocked with aircrew atm (nowhere to go) , hence the introduction of the "gate" for those who pass BFTS. 120 to 150 are "winged" in the ADF every year, and you are going to have to compete against them at the other end for jobs.

I think I will go read a biology book right now.

Last edited by Flyboat North; 16th Apr 2014 at 07:15.