PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2014, 23:12
Danny42C

Hummingfrog,

Once again I have a contemporary by my side (when I'd almost given up hope !). Welcome to our shrinking (but still happy) band, Hummingfrog Senior, Sir !

Tip for Junior: get the old feller rambling and record it - you can always edit it at your leisure, and rambling is what we old-timers best enjoy doing in any case - I'm looking forward to this.

Jurby does not seem to hold joyful memories for most of the correpondents who did time there during the war, but some of my happiest days as a lad were spent on our annual holidays in Ramsey in the mid-thirties. Sunshine every day, if memory serves....D.

Chugalug,

Just as everybody is supposed to remember exactly where they were when John Kennedy was assassinated, so everyone who heard Chamberlain's measured, lugubrious tones that Sunday morning will never forget it.

It was made worse by the fact that the terrible casualty lists of 14/18 were so fresh in the memory of every adult (the beginning of the First Gulf War is further away from us now than the Somme was to them then)....D.

Cheers, both. Danny.