PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2014, 21:43
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
I have a new sim card in my phone which is thus limited to making UK only calls now. The first number I tried to call failed repeatedly. I called up my service provider to report this seeming failure to be told, "Ah, that's the code for the IOM, and isn't included in your plan". It's obviously another of those far off places of which we now know little. True enough for me as I've never been there, but I've overflown it often enough, to another part of the UK, Northern Ireland.

WW2 training had a default for preferring holiday destinations it seems. Logical of course, abundant accommodation available given the lack of holidays being taken. Some of it though was occupied by enemy aliens enjoying an enforced holiday courtesy of HMG. Were any of them there when you were, ValMORNA?

Hummingfrog, your father's comments remind us all of that dramatic broadcast by Chamberlain, and the implications it had for every man, woman, and child. War with such a seemingly invincible foe must have been a very sobering prospect to contemplate indeed. I believe that the PM went on to say what a bitter blow it was for him that his long struggle for peace had failed, to which some were prone to respond that it wasn't exactly going to be a bundle of fun for them either!

I look forward to your father's story. Well done for encouraging him to tell it. Thank you, in anticipation, to you both!