PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best flying trips ever!
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2014, 15:45
ITSAB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having your licence with you on holiday can be certainly be cool.

My best trip of this sort was last year in france.
Staying near Poitiers we arranged with a local flight school for an instructor and a plane. We arranged to fly our holiday route from the previous year and so that I got to fly a Jodel DR-400, which was quite different to the the C-172 P's that I usually fly.

The route was Poitiers - La Rochelle (taking in the Marais Poitevin on the way) then the Île de Ré turning south to the Île d'Oléron to fly along the coast of the island, and then back to Potiers.

Being over the water for the first time was a great, if at first slighly unnerving experience.
Flying down the coast of the Île d'Oléron got a great view of the Salicines (salt basins), we also passed over the Chassiron lighthouse, upon which we had stood the year before watching the planes going overhead, and now I was going overhead looking down at the lighthouse. Great fun !

Turning back to the mainland we went "feet dry" near Rochefort and then from there back to Poitiers where I made my first landing in a Jodel.

The trip took 2 hours and was great for me as the French instructor (whose english was limited) took care of radios and the nav, my girlfriend in the back took the photos and translated if need be between myself and the instructor leaving me to be "Chauffeur" for the morning.

With a bit of luck we will do something similar this year as well.

Good luck with the PPL, look forward to hearing about your trips.