PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 15th Apr 2014, 08:20
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But surely Crab's point is quite right! DB - Crab's issue was what's legal and presumably the height AMSL of a rig departure is irrelevant to that point. I'm not saying it's wrong - far from it. As you say, with good training and currency it's clearly fine.

But in reality there is surely no real difference to the skills and technique required for a safe night rig departure and those that should have been applied for this 0/0 139 departure, with the only caveat of ensuring no obstacles were too close. Plus as I've suggested before, I'd imagine many rig departures are at close to MTOW, making it harder. Safety standards are surely amonsgt the highest for rig PT too.

So, two points. Firstly how are the regulations complied with for night rig departures when no visual references are ahead? And secondly what's so wrong (regulations - potentially - aside) with land based 0/0 IMC departures, assuming appropriate training and currency?