PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2014, 02:53
alloha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was really skeptical if i have to write this post but i think every new info to someone who wants to join Air Japan would be useful .Its gonna be long enough

Agent: I found Parc to be very professional .They supported me quite well .From the time i expressed my interest it took me 58 days to find myself landing in HND.To be More precise they offered me assessment dates 12 working days after i send the full package of the required documentation.

Traveling : If you book through various e-ticketing sites (i used LH official,of course i picked code shared flights with ANA) call ANA'S office in your region and ask for ANA reservation code.It gives you access to ANA web check in 24h before flight and emergency exits in economy are FREE AND AVAILABLE.

Hotel: The biggest problem.Room is something like 12 square meters .I wish i knew that.Since i payed for hotel , i should have asked a better place with a better bed.IMHO if 150-200$ its nothing for this job.I only managed to sleep 5 hours.Actually i never got used to the jet lag.Arrived in hotel at 16.00 and went out for a walk.I only slept from 02.00 until 07.30 .

Screening. I was alone.Theo other guy call it off the last time.I started at 15.15 with the written exam.FAA stuff.Two ladies from the ANA HR.Extremely polite.I was done in 15 minutes.Then the MMPI.I spent almost 1 hour and then they called me for the sim briefing.I got in to the room.3 retired ANA's pilots the 2 ladies i mentioned before and another guy mid 40's from the HR.The best board of people i ever met.BY FAR.Friendly and casual made me feel like home.THEY WANT YOU TO SUCCEED .Just a few Qs about my travel to Japan etc.Then the sim briefing.One of the pilot apologized for his English.He told me they have recorded the briefing and he was pointing out the key factors on the board.I had a few questions.About the T.O Briefing (he told me only the V1 aborted rules according to your company) and approach briefing (Frequencies and M.A he told me in his best smile).After 45 minutes we were done.They offered me a break of 15 minutes.I went outside ,one of the ladies from the HR ,asked me if i need anything and told me "you are doing great keep it that way.
At 17.25 i got back in the room.It was like a family gathering.so relaxed.The HR asked me about ANA.I knew a lot.about the 5 star on Skytrax they had received 5 days ago.About the last flight of 747.About the new slots from Haneda even about the new employees started in April in a ceremony in Haneda.They were pleased .She told me that.Then the guy told me about a class on September or November.I Said i would do nothing but some extra vacations and maybe study about the 767.He was looking for dedication.I just said the truth.
Pilots interview: 2 questions each. P2 duties during CAT2 (they want you to tell about taking control if no decision at minima and initiate a go around), runaway edge lights.Then the other pilot asked me about GPWS and E-GPWS.The last guy asked me about microbursts and the difference about contact approach and visual approach.25 minutes and i was done.I asked for a small break before i get done with MMPI.The same lady asked me again if i need anything.She told me that everything is perfect so far.She was impressed from what i told them about ANA.Then i get done with MMPI and at 19.30 it was sim time.They told me that since i am alone i have 2 take offs for orientation on couple approach doing nothing and then a visual approach conducted by me.So it was almost another 30 minutes.During the assessment period everything was superb.i maintained altitude and airspeed i called the SOPS the way they wanted.After completing the VOR approach my captain told me "ok 3 minutes break your doing great work".I was very tired close to my limits.Final take off Engine cut(#2) again everything fine.according to the sim briefing.Then on the base turn disaster found me.I used and intermediate setting on rudder trim.i asked for flaps 5 speed 175 and add some thrust.i felt my right leg relaxing on the rudder the aircraft rolled to the left almost 35' bank.I applied rudder with full throttle lost 200ft then gain another 200.Speed all over.I managed to make the final turn fly a stabilized approach but i knew it it was over.Landed.the captain told me to relax.This HR lady was inside the SIM was evenly shocked with me.it took me 3 minutes to get myself together.I gave my hand to everyone .it was bittersweet.They were so nice and did everything to help me.I walked out of the sim.the HR lady talked to me again (oh we gonna have hard time now to decide).I smiled and told her."I know i failed but i couldnt do anything more.i was collapsing from fatigue".The rest of the board were outside the Sim.I personally thank everyone of them .Back in the hotel.2 hours later the mail of rejection arrived.I didnt expect anything less. I was for the next 3-4 hours.I knew i messed a great job opportunity,maybe a life time changer and i know i will not have another shot with Air Japan.I wish i could but. All in all do some basic study be your self ,show commitment ,learn a lot about ANA AND FLY THE SIM.Its all it takes.They are wonderful people with great attitude.Good Luck to anyone who will have an assessment with Air Japan