PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skymark Interview and Sim
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 23:52
The Dominican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone considered just staying in a hotel on days off?

I met an ANA 747 pilot staying in a hotel in Narita (right beside the Hilton) and he claimed it was much simpler than renting. Have heard of others doing same in Addis Ababa and Istanbul.

Not sure if it would work in Japan? Does sound simpler than rental contracts etc. Just land, shuttle to clean hotel, eat, drink, sleep and back to work.
You can stay in Japan on your days off as long as you don't overstay your shore pass, or in the case that you want to be in Japan longer than the week long your shore pass permits, just come in on your passport on the last duty day and get a 90 day visa, lots of guys do it. Haven said that, this thread is about SKY, with that gig you will get a residency card so you don't have any restrictions to live in Japan, my previous comments were specific to commuting contracts in Japan.
About living in the hotel.....! Some guys do stay in the hotel long term and the hotel accommodates the pilots pretty well with late check in and check out! But staying at the hotel on the long term will get old, I stayed at the hotel for my first three years here and I have been at my apartment for four years plus, the apartment is the way to go. it is expensive to set up at the beginning and you will have to buy furniture and appliances, but this will be the best money you will ever spend, your outlook and quality of life while at work will improve ten fold.....! Just not to have to listen to AA&UAL cabin attendants bitching about scheduling and how they told them off during breakfast is well worth the money. Believe me, after a while at the hotel you will start filling out applications to the post office and renewing your subscription to "Guns & Ammo" magazine just trying to find your bag in that room the hotel provides to keep your stuff after you check out is enough to drive you mad....!