PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit/pattern spacing Q
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 19:05
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like The500man, I was taught to fly a circuit that was within gliding distance at any point on the downwind, crosswind and final legs, if flying a single-engine aircraft.

The CFI was contemptuous of what he called "Bomber Command circuits"; especially on finals. If he saw a member "dragging it in on the prop" he would ground him/her and insist on remedial training.

That was a long time ago, but in later life where I was able to influence things I have had many acrimonious conversations with CFIs and their ab-initio instructors who defraud their clients by getting in so few landings in an hour's circuit flying.

Circuits are not for practising flying straight and level for several miles and then doing an approach and landing under power, they are for practising approaches and landings from 500ft final turns, with an 800 ft QFE downwind leg close enough to turn and land after losing all power.

I agree that an oval pattern is infinitely better than the ridiculous square pattern. The same CFI encouraged his staff to take control immediately after take-off, climbing 180 turn to 500ft, level 180 turn and hand control back to the student nicely positioned for a powerless approach from 500ft and landing. OK, that was 1960s and no ATC, private airfield, keep a b****y good lookout for other club aircraft doing the same thing, probably not possible now. But we did a huge number of landings (necessarily, in an Auster) and got our money's worth.

But the training industry needs a shake up; there are instructors out there who really don't understand what is so wrong with wide, wide circuits, endless downwind legs, and ridiculous final approaches that need almost full power all the way down. Are they wannabee airline pilots? It's like teaching people to drive on the M1.

Last edited by Capot; 15th Apr 2014 at 18:29.