PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 17:13
susier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Alchad there, that's correct. Multiple hits on 'items' would indicate it was worth taking a closer look at them.

However I believe in order to make best use of crowdsourcing it has to be pretty transparent (as in Oldoberon's example) and this Tomnod effort felt anything but.

People were increasingly frustrated with the fact that apart from there being really minimal feedback on the efforts of those trying to help, there were significant delays in providing relevant data to be searched, and a lot of folk considered that the images being released did not tell the whole story - in other words, there was a feeling that they were being used in a social experiment for some purpose rather than actually providing a helpful service to the rescue endeavour.

I suspect that there is far greater intelligence available to those searching IRL and that Tomnod's images - though fascinating - did not really scratch the surface of that.

It was interesting to look at some of the images though and probably fairly educational in a broader, kind of lowbrow way.