PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 14th Apr 2014, 11:53
RedWhite&Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jon902,

Are your 150m RVR limited to when Low Vis Procedures are in force?

Without LVPs we need 400m RVR for a Performance Class 1, IFR departure.

Many aerodromes don't operate LVPs.

Rotorspeed,

Answer; None of the above). NRDK describes a fully coupled technique well, and his point about uneven terrain is important, but you still have to get up to 30ft, to engage HOV mode, and anyway you did say 'hand flown'.

Type rating training involves VMC take off profiles until through TDP and Vmini.

A towering take off by sole reference to instruments, below TDP, is not one many people train for. I'm sure many IFR qualified pilots may be able to take off on instruments in zero/zero, but only with suitable training and practice. When things don't go quite to plan one would not be well placed. Not much scope to sort things out one might say. So not one for my everyday bag of tricks, thank you.

Um...Lifting,

I've put the stick down and washed my hands - thanks.

With regard to a 139 towering take off you said
Normally, in the AW139, a towering takeoff is considered complete (depending upon one's company operating manuals) when established at a Vtoss of 50KIAS in an accelerating climb toward Vy, normally above 200'.

We use 40 KIAS for Vtoss for towering (Helipad/Heliport and Offshore) - 50 KIAS Clear area.

But, normally, it starts with visual lateral hover cues and remains that way until through TDP and Vmini. So, loose the cues too early and you are flying through the next hole in the swiss cheese.

I say 'next hole' because you've already made it through a few, prior to being in the hover with no external take off cues.