PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit/pattern spacing Q
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 11:23
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose it depends how 'tight' is a tight circuit. If you use the logic that your wingtip should be on the edge of the runway when downwind, then it will vary depending on the type of aircraft and length of the wing. Plus some aircraft (e.g. a Saratoga maybe) might not be able easily fit the same tight pattern as a PA28 or C172. On the other hand an ex-military or otherwise aerobatic pilot might well go for an even tighhter Not wishing to make excuses for anyone, but thats the reality sometimes, particuarly at an uncontrolled airfield or one without specific traffic patterns due to noise abatement.

sharpend's advice is sounds, especially the listen with your ears bit, while making your own accueate announcements and keeping a very good visual lookout.

I had the opposite to you once. I had done 3 night circuits and wanted to land and stop doing circuits. But on final approach, once I had someone jump the gun and line up while I was on final, requiring me to go around, and on my 2nd approach I caught up with another aircraft (or he did a wider circuit (I dont know)) and also had to go around. On the 3rd attempt to land, I admit I was a little bit naughty and landed while the aircraft in front was literally exiting the runway, and hadnt made the "runway vacated" call, but in my assessment it was safe to land. Plus the aircraft had funny rattles going on (was in a school aircraft and not my own) and I wasnt comfortable doing yet another circuit in it. I accepted the slight wrist slap, but my complaints about other people circuit etiquette fell on n deaf ears.

Moral of the story ? - circuits are a busy place, sometimes it doesnt work out in your favour, but like weather and many other things, that is aviation, and we try our best to live with it and try and be safe.

Edit, I cited the wrong person's original advice.

Last edited by piperarcher; 14th Apr 2014 at 11:34.