PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I normal? Statistics needed!
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:50
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_rodge
If an airliner has to ditch, what are my chances of dying from the cold water, rather than the landing on calm seas, as is likely the case in a light aircraft?

How often do rapid depressurisations occur, with the fog in the cabin and oxygen masks having to be donned?

When a depressurisation does occur, what % of people suffer hearing damage? How many people will end up unconscious? How difficult really is it, putting on a mask? How long does it take for the mist to disappear? Are my kids going to die before I can get a mask on them, if I have to put mine on first like the cabin crew instruct before the flight?
there were around 50 losses of cabin pressure in 2013 (from AVHerald). Have a search and read about them on that website. I believe there was only a single one where people had any problems with their ears, and that was cabin crew. No reported issues with masks. On most the masks didn't deploy. No-one unconscious.
How often, when checking a fuselage for metal fatigue cracks, are cracks missed resulting in a de pressurisation and/or hole in the cabin?
None in 2013 that I've seen. There are a few involving cockpit window problems, and one involving a cargo door failure. Most were to do with problems with the pressurisation systems (bleed air / air con packs).
I'm also into motorcycling (road), so if anyone can post comparable safety statistics on the safety of motorcycling and traveling via commercial airlines that would be great.
Direct stats don't work - as aircraft stats are in hours, motor bikes are in miles. However as someone else has posted, some say that small GA has similar risk levels (although different causes) to motor bikes. Commercial Airtravel is CONSIDERABLY safer than motor biking. Per mile, it is by far the safest form of transport (safer even than trains).

Maybe I've just been watching too much Air Crash Investigation or too many clips of horrifying wing claps on YouTube...
Might be better not to look at AVHerald then...
However what you will see is that almost all issues are handled well with no serious outcomes, and the number of issues compared to the number of flights is tiny. [/QUOTE]