PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 07:43
LastPastthePost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats again to the those who got selected.

For me I know where I went wrong. The 2nd group exercise was quite complicated in that you had to do quite a few calculations to answer some of the objectives of the tasks. I asked if anyone wanted to keep track of that, which was followed by an awkward silence (as no one wanted to have their heads down in calculations for part of the exercise), so I felt having asked the question I should offer to do it. So I spent the majority of the exercise doing calculations.

The other error I made was that my competency examples were too long and as the interview progressed the interviewers kept asking me to be brief. This is in line with my only feedback to BA that there was too much content for the time in the interview. I'm in a very technical role at the moment, so most of the answers needed context.

Also, if I am 100% honest - I didn't want the job as much as some of the others I saw at Waterside. I'm lucky to have a very good job already and I was particularly busy the week up to the selection. Contrast that with some of the candidates there who had no plan B, its was obvious they put more time into preparation, coaching, tests etc. The more I looked into British Airways and IAG, the more concerned I got about its finances and its ability to grow in the future. Again, if I was 100% honest, if I had to invest my own money in Airline Stocks, BA would be towards the bottom of the pile. I'm not saying that these two points would have stopped me taking the job, but that the fact I had some doubts creeped into my performance on the day. This is why I'm happy for the people that made the cut, as they deserved it more than me.

So having my mind made up for me, I think the easyJet MPL is a great opportunity. I will be reflecting on the above and using it to improve my performance for this program. I suspect it will be just as competitive (or even more because its entry criteria are lower) as the Future Pilot Program.