PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glide ratio
Thread: Glide ratio
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 02:57
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flyingchanges:

As an old guy in this business, I'm probably going to retire for the final time the end of this year. I know that there are young guys around, including my son, who feel the same about flying skills, as apparently you also do. Over emphasis on automation is killing the flying skills, which should exist to support the process when the automation fails or is unavailable. I'm lucky to be finishing my career with a talented group of flight test and research pilots who get it. They not only have confirmed the concept for me, they have been an inspiration.

Automation is a good thing if used properly within a defined CRM relationship between that automation and the pilot's skilled inputs and oversight. Unfortunately, we've headed in a direction that compromises the necessary piloting skills that are required to manage or rescue that automation should the time arise when the guy/gal in the seat needs to be a pilot again.

I hope there's enough folks around to preserve the concept and protect and preserve the title and meaning of "pilot", with and without the assistance of automation. Evolve and adapt, don't devolve.