PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 17:42
LNIDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rushed approach

I think the answer is a lot more complicated than that, i.e. poor training/candidates.

Lets start with what i would call "willing to fail syndrome" by this i mean there is a large body of people wanting to see MOL/FR fail, these range from other airlines, pilots and of course the press who would love to report a smoking hole in the ground with a harp poking out.

To counter this, the company following a few incidents some years back take a very very strict line on SOP compliance, this is IMO far easier to achieve with fresh blood not tainted by previous experience of other airlines. They know only the FR way

Route threats

FR fly into far more secondary airports then most airlines, often with only NPA available which means they a) have to know what they are doing & B) get more practice at doing it, RNAV approaches using LNAV/VNAV is second nature.

Cost of training

An F/o is required in the RHS whether he/she is under training or not, my understanding is that FR F/o get less per sector when under training than after? so it is actually cheaper than using a regular F/o also the F/o having some how stumped up the funds for training in the first place tend to be focused and keen.

Quality of trainers

More difficult to answer, but they sure get a lot of practice

Quality of training

Well i can only say that the quality and depth of knowledge particularly tech knowledge is by a magnitude better than the average that i have observed with the average of pilots that have come from elsewhere.

90%+ Of accident reports that i have reviewed occurred because of a failure of one or more of three elements, in order these are

1) SOP understanding and compliance/discipline
2) CRM
3) TEM Threat error management

I think FR understand the rule book on safe flying, when one reviews the daily posting on Aviation Herald's web site and how infrequently Ryanair, easyJet & Norwegian feature, even more so given the huge number of sectors flown says volumes.

Of course having new single type fleets, with all the latest safety toys all helps

Ryanair cadets will of course need more sectors because they are not type rated, but you are painting onto a fresh canvas, you are not having to undo someone else's work.

I'm no apologist for FR, far from it, i think they could increase safety even further by addressing some of the absurd employment practices at little or no cost much as they have done with the tweaks to passenger T&C's but lets be clear it is by any standard a very safe airline.

My understanding is that if a pilot needs the toilet a cabin crew member goes inside the flight deck to guard against pilot incapacitation with the other pilot locked outside trying to fumble with door code and waiting 30 sec whilst the guy inside is slumped over the column with the A/P off and in a dive.