PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 16:59
SMOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't use TCAS as reliable location laterally, regarding the Macau A320 traffic, we assumed it couldn't of been him initially as he "appeared" to be behind us a fraction however during the climb and all the instructions it became obvious he was the traffic and we saw him eventually. We got a stepped 250/270/280/300/300+/M0.83+ accel and stepped climb, plus only got a direct once above the traffic, he got all the directs and no speed control, I suspect he was as I said basically doing an Econ climb into around M0.78, she was determined that he was first and we would be the ones to create the required separation.

Apologies if it comes across as nagging I'm just interested in the process so when the discussion ends up on the flight deck of "why" hopefully I can have a clearer picture.

A good example on a different occasion would be we were cleared high speed (not requested) but held at 9000 as usual so we accelerated to 350kts (smooth nil weather) ATC then requested our speed, and traffic behind us an airbus was also cleared high speed and told maximum 350kts by the controller, the airbus guy had a double take assuming he said 250kts it was resolved and the airbus saying he couldn't go that fast, anyway we both got plenty of directs and unrestricted climbs. Now we could have done an Econ accel to say 303kts so restricting the A/C behind us to 300, he may have wanted 310 for all I know but the point being ATC could ask us for max speed if he wanted while we were held low it may not work for us every day but it seems like an opportunity for ATC to use high speed as a tool rather than just cleared high speed.

High speed for most crews I suspect is to accelerate to Econ climb speed anywhere between 270-340 depending on A/C type and weight. Most if not all should be able to at least do 320kts so ATC could ask for 320 or greater if they want and release the guy later I hope. The guy at the front doing 280kts high speed still stuffs everyone else wanting 310 for example.

Understood however the next sector may have an issue.

Cheers