PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - compensation
Thread: compensation
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2003, 19:15
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I agree that we are becoming compensation-crazy in the UK (we seem to follow the US slavishly in all things) and the people highlighted at the beginning of this thread are the worst (or best, I suppose) examples, it is not always true to say that compensation is not offered in other modes of public transport.

Last week I travelled by rail from Bristol to Penzance with Virgin Cross Country. It was a day trip but when I returned to Penzance Station in mid afternoon I learned that my return Virgin train had been cancelled. The reason was a fatality on the line in Somerset that had caused cancellations and delays for most of the day.

Without asking I was given a pre-paid Virgin compensation form by the enquiry agent at Penzance Station. In fact, all the Virgin passengers (and Wessex Trains passengers) were allowed on the next train out of Penzance which was a late-running First Great Western service to Paddington. We were kept informed during the journey by the very efficient FGW train manager who eventually told us that a Virgin train to Bristol and the north was being held at Plymouth for us.

We transferred to this train and I arrived back in Bristol only an hour late. I cannot commend all the railway staff highly enough. The fatality was not Virgin’s fault so I shall not be claiming any compensation.