PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have around 300 pilots left RYR lately?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 14:34
Rushed Approach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LNIDA

If i misunderstand the point you are making I apologise, you seem to me? to be saying that there is no evidence that Ryanair pilots receive better training than other airlines, a simple yard stick is the minimum number of sectors a pilot is required to complete before being released for final line check and released to line if the check is passed.

Ryanair min 80 sectors
Norwegian 40
Monarch 10
Jet2 20
So you are saying that the quality of training is better in Ryanair than it is in the other carriers you quote because they (FR) need to do more of it? This could equally imply the training is worse as it takes the trainer double the time to achieve the desired result! I don't believe the standards of training are anything less than very good in all of the airlines you quote.

Could it be that the other carriers are generally taking on a more experienced pilot/better quality recruit in the first place, and hence doesn't need to waste expensive training resource teaching grandma to suck eggs?

What these stats imply at first glance (if they are true) is that FR take significantly more sectors to get their recruits to a certain standard i.e. where the F/O no longer needs to fly with a trainer. However, from the above posts it appears that this may however be cost driven, so in reality no conclusion can be drawn about either training standards or the standard of candidates.

Last edited by Rushed Approach; 13th Apr 2014 at 17:16.