PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - underwater beacons on CVRs and DFDRs
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 14:33
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I begin by saying that I have no answers, only questions.
I am appalled just like you that a large piece of heavy metal can disappear into nothingness so many days long.
I made a great deal of research on all aircraft disappearance at sea since 1937.
But it is so long that I'm saving you the details.
I would just tell you:
1948-1949 8 aircraft disappeared
1950-1959 16 aircraft Missing
1960-1969 19 aircraft Missing
1970-1979 19 aircraft Missing
1980-1989 10 aircraft Missing
1990-1999 7 aircraft Missing
2000-2009 6 aircraft Missing
2009-2014 3 aircraft Missing
It 's clear that from 1950 to 1979 the number increases with the increasing traffic.
Then there is a reversal trend probably caused by the introduction of more and more sophisticated means of locating the wreckage.
But just one plane ditching (cause of the reduced location time, the greater chance to recover some survivor, less pain of relatives, the satisfaction of hunger for knowledge of the causes thanks to the early discovery of the black boxes) would justify the following remarks.
We all know the pros and cons of " ELT " " PLB " " EPIRB " but it seems that under a few feet of water they bcompletely lose their effectiveness.
I was wondering: Is there a way to get them out quickly in the event of ditching?
After I puzzled to conceive a system that did emerge and float, I found that it already existed:

Google EPIRB

Don't you think that even if we are crushed by the pain caused by the MH370 event, we have to do something because such a device is adapted for commercial aviation, certified and installed as soon as possible at least on the aircraft traveling long distances over Oceans, Poles, desert areas?