PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit/pattern spacing Q
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 12:25
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit/pattern spacing Q

Got a quick question. So I have been taught to fly pretty tight circuits. WRT the 172 I am learning in, its about half strut downwind at 1000, turn base at 45 degrees. Today the weather was to ****ty to do much, so my instructor sent me up to do some solo circuits. I got caught behind someone in the circuit, running out really wide on downwind, flying base out really wide. Each time, I turn downwind I fly as slow as I am game, about 70-75knots, and yet I still am turning base way after 45 degrees. I did 4 circuits then gave up in frustration because I was running out of time. I should have been able to do 6-7 circuits in the time I had the aircraft hired.

So the question is, why fly a wide circuit? I see plenty do it. I am being taught to fly tight in case of engine problems and so people know where to look for you in the circuit. When I flew in noumea, it was wide but that was because of noise abatement and the fact there is a big hill in your way. But at our aerodrome, there is no issue, so should you not adopt the normal close pattern?