PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should we laugh or cry? Government pays Microsoft £5.5m to extend Windows XP support
Old 13th Apr 2014, 05:07
rh200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon there is big meetings going on seeing if they can rollout Linux on the desktop
Though I'm a big Linux fan, and use that myself, its more than a hinderance than a savior for most of the world.

To understand this you need to understand the average plebe/user. After seeing various departments try to implement it, then abandon it, its a waste of time for most. The world works on windows and office, project etc as a whole (statisticaly).

When you have companys that only let you work in particular formats you know your stuffed. Products like open office and Libreoffice have come a long way, but still can't keep up with microsoft changes.

In fact I'm working on a document right now that must be in docx, and submitted in docx format. Though Libre office does a good job of opening it, its not quiet right. So solution, get someone to save it in doc format, I do what I have to, and then get mate to save it as docx format and then submit it to the F$#%ers who want it that way.

Anyone who wants to role out Linux department wide either gets some half backed sod to do it. Its not quite right and then they leave and no F#$%ker can fix it. Or they get some other proffesional mob to do it, and their beholden to them anyway.

The good thing about windows is, almost any dumb f%^k can come in and do support. As long as they have done the courses.