PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 100 and 200 SIDS
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2014, 22:24
rnuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's not been explained well is the SIDS are broken up into two major components.
Inspections for ageing aircraft fatigue and the second for identification of corrosion, repair and then control of corrosion in the future.
I am a LAME, Owner and Pilot and I applaud Cessna for being the first to stand up and do this.
I have carried out SIDS inspections on a number of machines and some of the things I've found is frightening to say the least.
We understand that a lot of owners can't afford to spend the money on carrying out the SIDS and that it's hard to justify the cost when the value of the aircraft is not high as well, but bear in mind these machines really weren't designed to be in service this long.

On a side note with regards to owners doing maintenance.
I walked into a hangar the other day to do a job on a friends aircraft, and there was an owner of a light sport aircraft with his prop off looking a little puzzled.
He was trying to work out how some spacers were fitted and was unsure.
Now, if I had not come past and helped him out the possibility existed of it being fitted incorrectly and the result of that possibly catastrophic.