PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 12th Apr 2014, 21:52
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
A Mig25 flies at about 25 miles a minute (faster if flat out), and if the Grimrod is staggering along at 7 miles a minute
Thank you for the lesson on closure rates; strangely enough I've been there and done that. In the Libya case though I don't remember many Mig 25/31s coming out very far. For that matter I don't remember many Iraqi ones doing so either, so let's ignore that as an irrelevance. By the way it's N not Gr.

seeing as Storm Shadow is supposed to be a weapon to take down an IADS
. Really? Oh well, I guess you know best. Or maybe not

It gets better though
shelve 3 sqns of fast jets
. What we lost was 2 sqns of MMA. The decision over FJ numbers was between GR7/9 and GR4. The money on MRA4 was already spent; support costs for your FJ fleet was down to support costs for your FJ Fleet. But never let the truth get in the way of a good rumour.

And if we want rumours, there is a rumour that the FJ-mafia got rid of MRA4 because an aircraft capable of delivering precision strike anywhere in the world within 24 hrs (mythical or not) undermined the whole raison d'être of the FJ fleet. But this is only a rumour of course.